My mom and I were helping plan a baby shower recently. We were in charge of the decorations and the games. We came up with a few games but wanted one more. I was brainstorming and created this DIY Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game.
The rules are simple.
Set the diapers out in box. Every guest picks a diaper, but doesn’t open it until you say so. All but one of the diapers will be “clean” inside. One will have a poop emoji drawn in it. Whoever gets that “dirty diaper” wins.
That paragraph will make a lot more sense once you read on. Trust me.
DIY Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game
DIY Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game Supplies:
How To Make The DIY Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game:
Use a hard piece of cardboard to cut your diaper template.
Ours started as a 5.5- x 4.25-inch rectangle.
Hold your rectangle so the longer side is the bottom and the top, and the smaller sides are the sides.
Measure just over two inches down from the top and make a mark.
Then, measure 1-inch in on the bottom and make a mark.
On an angle, cut from the mark on the side to the mark at the bottom.
Do this again on the other side.
That should leave a little over 2-inches in the middle on the bottom and should form a diaper shape.
You can vary the sizing of your diaper template, but the two cuts will be the same.
Trace your diaper template on the card stock.
Then, fold the card stock in half at the bottom of the diaper.
Cut out the diaper and fold it inside out (so your pencil marks are hidden).
Fold in the sides of each diaper (ours are .75-inches in, but you will decide what works for you).
Punch two holes at the top of each folded over flap. Make sure to go through all four layers.
Tie a piece of ribbon through the holes, then tie it in the front.
Continue to make enough diapers for guests. Then, on the very last one …
… draw the poop emoji inside it before you tie it. That’s your winner!
Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game Set Up
Make sure you make one diaper for each of the guests at the baby shower. Put all the diapers in a plastic box, making sure the “dirty” diaper is somewhere near the front or middle, in case not every guest grabs one. You don’t want the “dirty” diaper to be in the back of the box and no one picks it.
Put the box of diapers somewhere conspicuous. If you’re having a guest book that guests will sign when they enter the baby shower, it’s a good idea to set this up there.
If you’re having a full game table with other games, put the box of diapers there.
Wherever you set this up, put a sign that reads: “Pick one … but don’t open until we say so.”
Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game Rules
As each guest arrives for the shower, have her take one diaper from the box.
No one is allowed to open the diaper until the end of the shower.
At the end of the shower, have all the guests open their diapers at the same time.
As they’re about to open, yell out, “Whoever opens the poopy diaper wins!”
This is one of the best baby shower games for large groups because everyone is doing the same thing at once and it’s super interactive. So it’s fun for everyone at the same time.
Tips For Making This DIY Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game
- One of the keys to making this dirty diaper baby shower game really successful is thick card stock. You want to pay extra for the good card stock because that way, no one will be able to see anything through the card stock. If you use thin card stock, there’s a good chance someone will see the poop emoji through the card stock and the game will be spoiled.
- You can use any color card stock that you want for this dirty diaper baby shower game. The baby shower that we were helping with had orange and blue as the colors, so we made half of the diapers orange and half of them blue. Then, we alternated them in the box. If you do this, just make sure to pick the lighter color as the winner because it would be hard to see the poop emoji drawn on dark card stock.
- If you have a friend who is willing to help you out, make two identically-sized diaper templates from cardboard. That way, you and you friend can both trace the diapers onto the card stock simultaneously, speeding the process up a little bit.
- You can cut every diaper with a pair of scissors, which is actually what we did when we made this for the aforementioned baby shower we helped plan. But, if I was making this at my house (I made this at my parents’ house), I would use a paper trimmer. They’re so much quicker, and they’re a lot easier on your hand. I use a paper trimmer for any card stock project I make, so if you’re on the fence about getting one, I promise you it’s worth the money (especially since ours was about $40 and we’ve never had a problem with it in 6+ years).
- If you don’t like your drawing skills, you can purchase poop emoji stickers. Just stick one of those inside of one of the diapers instead of hand drawing the poop emoji.
- When you’re tying the curling ribbon to the diaper to keep it closed, single knot it. A double knot may hold it better, but it might be hard for some guests to open that double knot. Part of the fun of this is every guest opening it at once, and that’s easy with a single knot and a pull of the ribbon. It’s not so easy with a double knot.
Want more DIY baby shower games?
Looking for some pre-made baby shower game templates?
If you want to just purchase some already made baby shower game templates, there are a lot online. The ones that will be the biggest hits are:
- Who Knows Mommy Best?
- Baby Shower Emoji Pictionary
- Guess Who? Mommy or Daddy?
- Baby Shower Word Search
- Baby Shower Word Scramble
- Colored card stock
- Curling ribbon
- Brown marker
- Hard cardboard
- One-hole punch
- Use a hard piece of cardboard to cut your diaper template. Trace your diaper template on the card stock.
- Fold the card stock in half at the bottom of the diaper. Cut out the diaper and fold it inside out (so your pencil marks are hidden).
- Fold in the sides of each diaper.
- Punch two holes at the top of each folded over flap. Make sure to go through all four layers.
- Tie a piece of ribbon through the holes, then tie it in the front.
- Continue to make enough diapers for guests. Then, on the very last one, draw the poop emoji inside it before you tie it.
Would you play this DIY Dirty Diaper Baby Shower Game at your baby shower?